The Cinela ZEPHYX windshield follows in the success of Osix microphone suspensions. The main goal is to optimize the performances on several main points:
- Wind protection
- Acoustic transparency
- Handling noise
Being rigidly attached to the support, the basket of a conventional windshield is directly excited by the vibrations of a boom or stand. So the microphone is in the heart of a drum where handling noise is acoustically transmitted. In certain conditions, the increase of the noise level due to the installation of the basket can go up to 20 or 30dB at certain frequencies, especially if the microphone suspension is very efficient! The Cinela Zephyx windshield incorporates an exclusive feature of suspension that ensures effective vibration decoupling of the main cage itself. The device is composed of a cross firmly secured to the central axis, which ends by isolators semi elliptical recessed into four points of the cage. This large base suspension, located within the volume, is complemented by a bellows with the function of windproof and flexible interface between the axis and the "floating" cage.
- The high wind protection is achieved by natural ovoid shape of large diameter (18cm), which helps « omnidirectional » aerodynamics and increases the area of protection around the microphone. The main double layer fabric, used alone, allows a very good level of protection for light or medium winds and offers a perfect acoustic transparency (-1dB @ 100Hz, -2dB @ 20kHz).
- Short hair fur, added to the main fabric, increases the protection for about 10-12 dB without much wind hurt acoustic performances (-2dB @ 100Hz, -4/6dB @ 20kHz).
- Alternatively, long hair fur enhances performance against wind noise (+4 to 5dB between 50 and 200Hz), especially at the cost of increased total volume without special degradation of the frequency response.
- For stereo or some surround recordings, the single knob two axis swivel (another Cinela exclusive) offers the advantages of a ball joint without disadvantages.
- Besides fabrics, furs and some screwing elements, Zephyx is composed of unbreakable plastic parts that allow safety manipulation and use.